Saturday, October 01, 2011

Happy Saturday My Blogger Friends and I'm off to Mesa today with my BFF to attend Di Gibbs Birthday Calendar Class.  I talked Jan into going with me to this class and I just know we will have a wonderful time.....Probably head over to Hobby Lobby and Michael's before coming home - and who wouldn't want to go on a roadtrip if it involved going to Hobby Lobby!  I'll report back in the next couple of days with pictures of the amazing project we are going to make.  For today - I will be sharing the card exchange I participated in yesterday at Maureen's 3rd Annual Bill Baughn Memorial!
A group of SaddleBrooke ladies got together yesterday to participate in the Annual Memorial for Maureen's son Bill - who was killed in an automobile accident 16 years ago.  As a way to honor her son, Maureen puts on an annual cardmaking event that involves over 30-ladies who last year, made 307 cards and mailed 30 boxes of goodies to a fellow SaddleBrooke Stampers family member who are stationed in Khandahar.  This year......We will be making 200 cards to be placed on every meal tray being served to the patients at the local Tucson, Arizona VA Hospital on Thanksgiving Day.  Each card will be a Thank You to them for their service to our country.  Any remaining cards we make (over 500 cards) will be sent to the Troops overseas, along with all the goodies that were donated.  
What we each did was bring a Card-in-a-Box for EIGHT and we all sit down and made 8-different cards at our table and those completed cards are among the 200+ cards that were made on Friday.  Let me share with you the Card-in-a-Box that I brought to this event.........
My actual card turned out to be a "Thank-You" card (but I forgot to take a final picture of it and had this copy (which the only difference is this one had "Just a Note" and the one I had the ladies make yesterday was a "Thank You".  I had each of the ladies assemble this card with some Recollections Elegance paper along with a stamp set from TPC Studio and some yummy Stampin' UP! 1-1/4" Cherry Cobbler Ribbon and Red Glimmer Paper (by Stampin' UP!).  We also constructed a daisy using a Stampin' UP! Scallop Circle punch and a 1" circle punch.
We were asked to bring a colored sample of the card we were making and what I did instead was donate an additional 8-completed cards within each of the Card-in-a-Box kits that each person received......and that way as the ladies were putting together my card, they would have a completed sample for them to reference as they were busy putting their cards together.    
Here are a few more of the cards I tucked into each of the Card-in-a-Box packets.......These cards along with the eight cards my SaddleBrooke Stamper Lady Friends made would be donated to the VA Hospital and to the Troops overseas.
And here is one final look at the 8-additional cards that got donated to the Third Annual Bill Baughn Memorial/Card Making for the Troops event on Friday.  What a BLAST we had - we LAUGHED....(Some cried)......We enjoyed Lunch....(and Some Enjoyed Dinner)......We ate Chocolate and snacked on some YUMMY Treats as we had a ball completing over 700 cards on this very special day.

Many THANKS to Maureen for organizing this WONDERFUL event.....and for Jerry Lujan (Vice Chair/Publicity) from the Tucson Troop Support Group for coming and chatting to our group about the Tucson Troop Support Group and all the wonderful work they do to provide financial and direct support to the deployed military and their families.
It will be my pleasure to attend this event again next year. 
Tomorrow I'll be sharing the cards I made at Di Gibbs 10/10/20 Christmas Card class last weekend.  Hope you can join me.  Keep Living Your Dream!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kadie,
    Your day out sounds so wonderful... I love these cards also, and for a wonderful cause.
    Have a great time, take lots of pictures.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete