Friday, May 04, 2012

Arizona Cactus Garden

Happy Happy Friday My Blogger Friend!
Countdown to Grandkids Arriving = 35 days to go!
Today I have a fun little garden project I want to share with you - A little different type of garden then what we have planted in the past.  Here is my Arizona Cactus Garden.....
First up ...... Let me impress you with my latin!  One of my favorite cactus that we bought was the Trichocereus hybrid Cactus.  The common name is Flying Saucer Cactus!  This is a raspberry version and talk about a monster to plant - It's a wonder Jack and I aren't sitting in the ER having PRICKERS pulled out of our hands!
Her name will be Stella (easy name to remember - as that is the name of my car too........).  Stella has a bunch of babies ready to bloom and the best part........
We planted her right outside my studio window.  She will bring me MANY MANY hours of pure joy and happiness.
This funky little cactus was sitting where Stella is now - so we just moved her to the front of our walk-way and yet another cactus I can enjoy as I look outside my studio window.
Now is when the FUN BEGINS........We went to Bach's Nursery and worked with a couple gals to create these amazing and very beautiful cactus gardens.  Julie was a dream to write down the names of each of our new cactus ...... and she even gave us written instructions on how to care of each of our cactus.  THANK YOU Julie for all her hard work at making our new cactus gardens look so beautiful!
I will be transferring all the information to our Arizona Garden Journal and these pictures will be included in the journal so I can indentify all our new cactus plantings.  (My favorite is the center cactus - which is the Fairy Castel Cactus)
Each of these cactus gardens have the Fairy Castel Cactus in the center. 
And we couldn't forget Mr Turtle.  Julie told us that this particular cactus will explode with growth and trail down over the sides of the turtle and create an amazing planter of beautiful pink flowering cactus.
One of my favorite new cactus ...... The Totem Pole Cactus
 But my ALL TIME FAVORITE cactus is Mammillaria Bocasana ..... or FRED!
 Yet another cactus garden ........
 And one final cactus garden for our Ramanda area!
We did put one large dish garden across the back wall by my spa - It gets lots of morning sun and in the afternoon ....... it will be protected by some amazing shade.
 One last look at the Totem Pole Cactus........(pretty or what!)
 And Fred ....... (love this little guy)
And the favorite of all the cactus we bought ...... is the Fairy Castel Cactus.  It's a fun little cactus that has lots of mystery and charm - and honestly reminds me of my granddaughters.  LOVE THIS CACTUS!

Thanks for letting me entertain you with our latest garden creation - We are probably going to arrange a day while the grandkids are here to head over to Bach's Nursery and have each of the kids make a cactus garden and leave it somewhere in our yard so each year when they come back to visit they can monitor its growth.

I'll be back tomorrow to share some Kards by Kadie creations with you - Keep Living Your Dream!

2 comments:

  1. Love all your cacti! Kelli Sue and I bought a fairy castle cactus last year and we love it too! Ours is named Aurora...awwww! (for Sleeping Beauty...awwwww!) Did Bach's plant your gardens or did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your cacti gardens. Funny, I never thought of giving them names, LOL. I'm not sure what part of town you live in, or what part of the state. I live in Fountain Hills. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete